1. NOTICE: If you are using Fabrik and update to Joomla 3.10, you will need to update to Fabrik 3.10. And, if you are using Fabrik, do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release. More information on a release date coming soon. Also, please note that Fabrik 3.10 will not install on any Joomla sites less than 3.8.
    Dismiss Notice

Controlling dbjoin checkbox interface?

Discussion in 'Community' started by bespokeappstt, Sep 27, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bespokeappstt

bespokeappstt Hubstaff freelancer

Level: Community
    I have a dbjoin/checkbox interface. How do I control the length and width of the interface on the form? Right now I have 18 checkboxes and all show. The form page is going to get quite long when I get to 500 checkboxes. Is there a way to introduce a scroll bar or some other control measure for the interface?
    upload_2021-9-27_10-14-56.png

2. juuser

juuser Well-Known Member

I would render the dbjoin as multiselect dropdown. When "enhanced dropdown" is enabled in Fabrik global options and dbjoin element settings, it will have a search field and it would be easy to find the needed option. I cannot imagine user trying to find the options amongst 500+ checkboxes, it seems like a terrible user experience.

But if you really must, you can have the checkbox element in separate group. Then set this group's fieldset's height to fixed number and overflow to auto in template custom css file.

troester likes this.
  3. troester

troester Well-Known Member Staff Member

I assume with so many checkboxes you have also to set
    upload_2021-9-27_16-47-9.png
    in Fabrik Options.

juuser likes this.
  4. bespokeappstt

I decided to test:
    upload_2021-9-27_11-52-11.png

and on the front end, there is no change. I'm supposed to see only 10 checkboxes right?
    upload_2021-9-27_15-15-0.png

5. juuser

juuser Well-Known Member

No, @troester's post was not a solution by itself, but just an additional note. "Filter list max" is the maximum length of dropdown filters in list view.
    So when you have e.g. max 500 options in your dbjoin elements, you should set this to some value larger than 500.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2021
  6. bespokeappstt

Okay understood. But how do I control the number of checkboxes in view? Can I create a fixed height that scrolls once exceeded or something? How can I achieve what I want to do?

7. juuser

juuser Well-Known Member

Like I wrote in my first post, but with the second option I already feel sorry for your users :)

8. lousyfool

lousyfool Active Member

Totally with @juuser. A nightmare in the making. :rolleyes:

1. Hick's Law.

2. Even if - for some reason - one would be required to choose as many as 10, 20 or 30 options, why would they be forced to check them all one by one, and out of a list of 500?

juuser likes this.
  9. bespokeappstt

Okay so it's better to use a 'dropdown'. I'll use that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.