1. NOTICE: If you are using Fabrik and update to Joomla 3.10, you will need to update to Fabrik 3.10. And, if you are using Fabrik, do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release. More information on a release date coming soon. Also, please note that Fabrik 3.10 will not install on any Joomla sites less than 3.8.
    Dismiss Notice

You know what would be really cool... *hint it's about cron emails.

Discussion in 'About fabrikar.com' started by JackGoa, Nov 29, 2016.

1. JackGoa

JackGoa Member

Level: Community
    With the cron email plugin you are able to update 1 field when the cron runs.

What would be really cool is if you had the ability to update more than one field, infinitely.

2. troester

troester Well-Known Member Staff Member

You can always use a cron php plugin, doing the mailing and updating via php.

3. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

Adding a second update wouldn't be too hard, but it's still half an hour's work or so ("not hard" doesn't equate to "not time consuming"), and outside the scope of subscription support.

-- hugh

4. JackGoa

JackGoa Member

Hi troester. Yes I know! But for us regular plebs that don't know advanced programming it's not so easy.

I just posted this here as it seemed like a general discussion board.

I'm probably trying to accomplish things with Fabrik it wasn't designed to do. Fabrik has opened many doors for me! Good developers are hard to come by and very expensive.

bj?rn
    - from tapatalk

5. cheesegrits

In most cases, like this, if there isn't a built in solution, we provide ways of adding customized code to fill in the blanks. At the end of the day, there isn't a single product which will do everything you need in building your app and meeting your requirements. So the choice is ... code it all yourself from scratch, pay someone else to code it all from scratch, or use Fabrik to do 90% of it yourself, and either get enough basic pointers from us through subscription support to achieve the last 10%, or pay us to do that last 10% either as custom code, or by adding the features you need to Fabrik.

We like to think that the last option is a good compromise, that lets you build some of the apps to make your living with in the most cost effective (eq. cheapest) way, and gives us a way to earn our living.

As you say, developers are hard to come by, and expensive. We try to bridge that issue, by providing a free toolkit which lets you do most of the work yourself. But we still need to earn a living.

-- hugh

6. JackGoa

JackGoa Member

Yeah for sure. I completely understand the gap you cover. However, maybe it might help to have guidelines as to how far paid support gets you vs hiring a skilled programmer?

bj?rn
    - from tapatalk

7. cheesegrits

Well, the Subscriptions page does say:

And really, at the end of the day, ask yourself "what would I do for $20?". Consider your relationships with your own clients, and how you manage their expectations and what you quote for your time. Or imagine how much work you would get from a contract programmer for $20.

-- hugh

JackGoa likes this.
  8. JackGoa

JackGoa Member

Ok cool. So if I think there's a feature that would be great to add, I can just sign up for Pro support and get it implemented?

It's really a great deal. As you say, compared to hiring a programmer to build something from scratch.

bj?rn
    - from tapatalk

9. troester

troester Well-Known Member Staff Member

I don't think it's working this way.
    http://fabrikar.com/subscribe

JackGoa likes this.
  10. JackGoa

JackGoa Member

Cool, I get the idea. The biggest issue for me is usually the complicated stuff are for my own personal projects to try and launch online businesses. So I don't always have a client to foot the bill. I have two that seems like they might start to go somewhere, so once the funds are there, I can always come back here and pay to get more advanced.

Thanks guys. Fabrik is quite an amazing tool. Please keep up the good work!