1. NOTICE: If you are using Fabrik and update to Joomla 3.10, you will need to update to Fabrik 3.10. And, if you are using Fabrik, do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release. More information on a release date coming soon. Also, please note that Fabrik 3.10 will not install on any Joomla sites less than 3.8.
    Dismiss Notice

Unuseability problems with 2.0beta

Discussion in 'Community Support' started by solmil, Jul 22, 2008.

1. solmil

solmil New Member

Level: Community
    Hi there,

I've been trying to use 2.0beta for a month or so and I'm just about to give up.

After using SVN 246 and then upgrading so I don't lose my data via ftp of latest SVN files I got to a stage of some minor forms/groups/elements working and some not.

Major failures occur on the form build code with publishing dates magically changing by themselves with each edit, database field on the form dissappearing on edit/update of form causing 'no database table' errors on attempted store of the edited form, multiple instances of same forms appearing on the Fabrik forms listing.

store errors when attempting to enter live data into a form in the database such as

Store row failed: INSERT INTO ( `solocation` ) VALUES ( '' )

Multiple instances of menus appearing I suppose because I edit a form which has a 'Link to menu' field.

I thought the only thing to do is completely uninstall Fabrik using the Joomla 1.5.3 uninstaller and re-install from the very latest SVN as of now which is 294.

Did this and guess what? Old tables and bits and pieces of data still in the Joomla database and still getting same errors.

Wow! how frustrating is this.

Is anyone having any success with 2.0beta?

I sure am not.

Now I have to search around with a tool such as mysqladmin and try and delete the trail of Fabrik debris out of the Joomla database!

Love and peace,

Sol.

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

You know, I think this is the first time in just under 30 years of software development I've ever heard someone complain about there being bugs in an early Beta code tree.

If this was something like Release Candidate 3, comments like these would be richly deserved. But it isn't, and they aren't.

-- hugh

3. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

I'm having success!
    If you posted a spec of you server and replicable steps to producing all these issues I'd take a look - but I guess your frustrated and just want to vent right! :)
    Honestly I don't see ANY of these issues on my test machines, do you have a secondary server to test things on to see if its specific to your current server?

Rob

4. solmil

solmil New Member

Hmmmm...

We're using Joomla 1.5.3

You know, I'd love to use Fabrik however, I think I've over estimated it's market readiness.

Yes, yes, I read your notes about 'don't use this beta code for production' which notes are most appropriate.

One possibility is that the data corruption has occured because of using different SVNs from 188 to 294.

Just out of interest, has the Fabrik 2.0beta database structure changed across these releases?

It's good to hear that Rob is having success. Maybe me being a newbie I'm doing things on form entry that are stressing the system, which Rob being a competent user would not.

Rob if you feel the code is basically working, have you got any ideas how I can 'clean' the Joomla database of all remnants of Fabrik and then do a clean full Joomla install of 294 or later and try again?

Love and peace,

Sol.

5. rob

hi

before continuing to reinstall etc, could you

1) post a full spec of the server you are running on

2) tell me if you have another machine u can install on and if so does it produce the same errors?

6. solmil

solmil New Member

Server spec.

Rob,

Does this help?

Love and peace,

Sol

Server Name host
    cPanel Version 11.23.4-RELEASE
    cPanel Build 26138
    Theme x3
    Apache version 2.2.8 (Unix)
    PHP version 5.2.5
    MySQL version 5.0.51a-community
    Architecture i686
    Operating system Linux
    Dedicated Ip Address 208.86.154.123
    Path to sendmail /usr/sbin/sendmail
    Path to PERL /usr/bin/perl
    Kernel version 2.6.18-028stab053
    cPanel Pro 1.0 (RC1)

7. solmil

solmil New Member

For Cheesegrits

Hey Cheesegrits,

I much appreciate you guys working to produce Fabrik on Joomla 1.5.x for us.

In all my 45 years in the software industry, after a product has gone through alpha testing and is on it's almost 300th svn bug upgrade in beta test I would have thought a simple process like entering a form with a single text data element in it would operate correctly, be saved to the database and be able to be viewed.

In my case I cannot get this to happen consistently for whatever reason.

The system fails consistently.

This could be caused by:

a. a corrupt database as I have been ftp copying svn's directly into the appropriate Joomla directories as I have been instructed.
    b. changes by the developers in the Fabrik database
    c. bugs that you may not have anticipated (I have not built a table first... I expected the table to be built by the database entries in the form... is this right?)
    d. inappropriate server setup (as has been suggested by another forum user)

My last test was to completely uninstall Fabrik using the Joomla uninstall and install svn 294 using the Joomla install.

It still doesn't work for me, and it appears like bits of data are still in the Joomla database, ie. the uninstall does not get rid of all Fabrik data (is this meant to happen?)

I think you should be a little more careful and respectful in your comments to people who are spending their precious time helping you debug your product.

I hope you can offer some useful comment which may allow me to continue using your product for our project.

Love and peace,

Sol.

8. rob

first of all Hugh does all of this voluntarily - thats 3000+ posts of help and goodwill, not to mention the countless times he's logged into to sites to help people, secondly I think he had a point based on your first post. You are frustrated that things aren't working and he's replied frustrated that you really didn't give us much solid information to go on, no need to escalte matters :)

Thanks for posting the server spec, nothing looks odd there, but you still haven't replied if you have a second server you can confirm the issues on. We are running several test servers here and are simply not seeing what you are seeing.

what's the number of commits got to do with anything? Whether you mean it or not statements like that read as if you are baiting us. As I'm sure you are aware an alpha is simply a stage where you outline what the product should be doing, the beta is where you fix issues. Due to the very complex nature of Fabrik, sometimes those fixes enduce other errors, or require large reworks of the code. I tend to submit to the SVN if I fix a know issue, that could be one character changed or 200 line written over multiple files. The number of commits is really not a good measurement of stability, simply of activity.

We make it very very clear that Fabrik 2 is in Beta and NOT ready for production sites. We all want to be be stable as soon as possible, but you can't get rilled up when bugs do occur if you are using it in a production environment as you suggest.

No 'cleaning' of the database should be required. If you mean that upon installation Fabrik leaves the database tables you created then this is on purpose. If you go to the admin tables page and hit the parameters button the popup window gives you the option to turn this feature off, so that upon deinstallation the tables are removed. Also as of today's SVN deleting fabrik tables gives you a choice as to whether you want to delete the database table as well.

There are very few changes to the database structure submitted to the SVN. Any time this occurs the SVN comit comments makes it very clear.

yes if you set the form to record in database. But that would be really easy to check in phpmyadmin right?

Could you also tell me what mySQL table types you are using? MyISAM etc (this should be visible in phpmyadmin)

If you are still having issues, pm me an ftp account & joomla admin account, and I will investigate further

Cheers
    Rob

9. solmil

solmil New Member

More info

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the reply. Here's some data from phpMyadmin. Hope it helps.

I suppose I can install on another server, but it would only be for beta testing and not for this particular project. I'll think about it.

Quote:
    If you go to the admin tables page and hit the parameters button the popup window gives you the option to turn this feature off, so that upon deinstallation the tables are removed. Also as of today's SVN deleting fabrik tables gives you a choice as to whether you want to delete the database table as well.

Rob don't know if I'm being thick here, but what is the 'admin tables page'? and how do I access it?

I'd like to try deleting all the tables and re-installing Fabrik and see what happens.

Love and peace,

Sol.

Databases
    Database Ascending Collation
    duroot_joomserv utf8_general_ci

Table Action RecordsTip Type Collation Size Overhead
    jos_banner Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 8 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 5.3 KiB -
    jos_bannerclient Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    jos_bannertrack Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_categories Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 13 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 6.7 KiB 856 B
    jos_components Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 42 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 8.9 KiB 100 B
    jos_contact_details Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.6 KiB -
    jos_content Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 72.4 KiB 64.4 KiB
    jos_content_frontpage Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.0 KiB 45 B
    jos_content_rating Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_core_acl_aro Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 6.1 KiB -
    jos_core_acl_aro_groups Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 11 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 4.5 KiB -
    jos_core_acl_aro_map Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_core_acl_aro_sections Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 6.0 KiB -
    jos_core_acl_groups_aro_map Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 4.1 KiB -
    jos_core_log_items Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_core_log_searches Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_calendar_events Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_connections Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_elements Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 15 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 17.4 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_formgroup Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 4 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_forms Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.8 KiB 20 B
    jos_fabrik_form_sessions Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_groups Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 6 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.7 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_joins Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_jsactions Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_packages Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_plugins Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 27 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.2 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_tables Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 2 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.2 KiB 52 B
    jos_fabrik_validations Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_fabrik_visualizations Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_groups Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    jos_menu Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 21 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 15.3 KiB 4.3 KiB
    jos_menu_types Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.3 KiB 296 B
    jos_messages Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_messages_cfg Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_migration_backlinks Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_modules Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 37 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 10.6 KiB 500 B
    jos_modules_menu Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 34 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.3 KiB 27 B
    jos_newsfeeds Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 8 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 5.1 KiB -
    jos_plugins Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 35 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 6.9 KiB 148 B
    jos_polls Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    jos_poll_data Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 12 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.3 KiB -
    jos_poll_date Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 11 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.3 KiB -
    jos_poll_menu Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_sections Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.4 KiB 400 B
    jos_session Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 1 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 23.0 KiB 16.2 KiB
    jos_stats_agents Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    jos_templates_menu Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 2 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 5.0 KiB -
    jos_users Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 12.7 KiB -
    jos_weblinks Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 6 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 3.8 KiB -
    jos__fb_contact_sample Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    solocation Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 4 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.2 KiB -
    SOlocation Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    soskill Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 2 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    SOskill Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 0 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 1.0 KiB -
    sotype Browse Structure Search Insert Empty Drop 3 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 2.1 KiB -
    56 table(s) Sum 329 MyISAM utf8_general_ci 285.6 KiB 87.2 KiB

Storage Engines
    Storage Engine Description
    MyISAM Default engine as of MySQL 3.23 with great performance
    MEMORY Hash based, stored in memory, useful for temporary tables
    InnoDB Supports transactions, row-level locking, and foreign keys
    BerkeleyDB Supports transactions and page-level locking
    BLACKHOLE /dev/null storage engine (anything you write to it disappears)
    EXAMPLE Example storage engine
    ARCHIVE Archive storage engine
    CSV CSV storage engine
    ndbcluster Clustered, fault-tolerant, memory-based tables
    FEDERATED Federated MySQL storage engine
    MRG_MYISAM Collection of identical MyISAM tables
    ISAM Obsolete storage engine
    Open new phpMyAdmin window

This MySQL server has been running for 21 days, 2 hours, 39 minutes and 8 seconds. It started up on Jul 02, 2008 at 06:32 PM.
    SQL query InnoDB NDB Handler Query cache Threads Binary log Temporary data Delayed inserts Key cache Joins Replication Sorting Tables Transaction coordinator
    Server traffic: These tables show the network traffic statistics of this MySQL server since its startup.
    Traffic Tip ? per hour
    Received 29 MiB 59 KiB
    Sent 232 MiB 469 KiB
    Total 261 MiB 527 KiB
    Connections ? per hour %
    max. concurrent connections 4 --- ---
    Failed attempts 636 1.26 1.14%
    Aborted 848 1.67 1.51%
    Total 56 k 110.58 100.00%