1. Fabrik 3.9 has been released. If you have updated Joomla to 3.9, this is a required update.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't use diacritic letters

Discussion in 'Fabrik 3.x Testing' started by Amema, Jun 12, 2012.

1. Amema

Amema New Member

Level: Community
    I use Esperanto and need to write letters like ?, ? and ?. But they only come out as "?". Is there someplace to get Fabrik to accept and present the letters correctly? The database use utf-8.

2. troester

troester Well-Known Member Staff Member

Fabrik is using the MySQL settings.
    If your database collation is utf8_general_ci I assume it should cover your characters.
    There are people using Japanese, Greek, Arabic and Russian characters.

But there are a lot of character settings, this is what my phpMyAdmin is displaying

3. Amema

Amema New Member

Ok, I'll check them through, but there is no problem in the other parts of the Joomla site.

4. troester

troester Well-Known Member Staff Member

Where do you get ??
    I can insert "?, ? and ?" in element + list labels, fields and textareas.

5. Amema

Amema New Member

They appear correctly in Labels etc, but not in fields.

6. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

When you say "not in fields", do you specifically mean when displaying field element values on a form / list?

Or do you mean any kind of element content, when rendered in forms / lists?

-- hugh

7. msisson

msisson New Member

Same problem when filling out a form in Russian

We have a signup form that is in English and Russian. The labels are fine, but if a Russian viewer tries to enter Russian characters when filling out the form fields, they see question marks.

And an interesting addition to this situation. The Russian text that I put in the form's receipt email rule comes through as question marks also. However, the body of the email, which is also in Russian, comes through fine.

8. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

Are you saying that as they type they see question marks? That sounds highly odd if it is the case.
    Did you check the coalition of the db tables that are storing the data? I know you said the other Joomla tables were fine, but perhaps you have set a different connection in fabrik to a different database?

9. msisson

msisson New Member

Data table not UTF8

Ok, I found the solution to the main issue. Even though we're running Joomla 2.5 and Fabrik 3, the table wasn't UTF8. From other threads I've read, I thought Fabrik was UTF8 by default.

10. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

I think we simply use the default database collation