1. NOTICE: If you are using Fabrik and update to Joomla 3.10, you will need to update to Fabrik 3.10. And, if you are using Fabrik, do not upgrade to Joomla 4, we do not have a supported version ready for release. More information on a release date coming soon. Also, please note that Fabrik 3.10 will not install on any Joomla sites less than 3.8.
    Dismiss Notice

Additional view for the element "database join"

Discussion in 'Professional Support' started by paolo.tateo, Aug 16, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

Level: Community
    Now the element "database join" can be shown as "Drop down list" or as "Radio button". None of the 2 mode is suitable to manage my requirement.

In the table "people" I must associate the family they belong to. Families may be many, and also the same name. So I need to make a search using the fields on this table households (province, municipality of residence, road, etc. ...).

Do you have suggestions about how to handle this situation?

Thanks
    Paolo

2. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

So you have a 'people' table and a 'families' table, correct?

And the two need to have a many-to-many relation, i.e. multiple people can have multiple link to multiple families. This will require creating a 'linkage' table between people and families, i.e. a table which consists only of it's own PK, and join elements to the PK's of the other two tables. You would then need a Fabrik table join from 'people.id' to 'linkage.peopleid' (or whatever your lement names are for the PK's). Fabrik will then create a new group, called "people - [families]", and you need to edit that group and set 'repeat' to yes. That establishes the basic many-to-many relationship.

Next issue is you want to be able to search the families table on multiple fields, as part of the process of assigning families to people.

My initial feeling is you'd need to make it a two step process. The 'person' record creation process would need to be separate from the 'choose your families' process. So during initial 'person' creation, you would have a form submission plugin to redirect to the 'choose families' page. Once created, editing 'person' details would be a separate page from 'choose families'.

The approach I'm thinking of would also require a table plugin to be written. The idea being, we would use a standard Fabrik table page, with element filters, to present the 'families'. They can then use the standard element filters to search for province, street, etc. But then we have the issue of how to say "add those as my families".

Which is where we'd need a table plugin, so they could select the appropriate checkboxes on the rows they want, and press a "My Families" button at the bottom of the table, which would fire off the plugin to create the necessary joins in the people-families linkage table.

You'd almost certainly also end up having to customize some templates, to tweak some of Fabrik's default behavior when dealing with repeat groups.

-- hugh

3. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

A plugin like the one I described would also be useful in other parts of my software.
    If I offer a financial contribution, could be developed in time short?

4. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

To be more precise, I would like to be added a third option to the plugin database join, allowing the opening a layer to select which records to associate (can make the filters provided in the table).

Paolo

5. cheesegrits

cheesegrits Support Gopher Staff Member

I'll point Rob at this thread, get his opinion. I agree it would be a very useful feature. The only question is how much work is involved, as we're trying to focus on just getting the existing core features solid and get a release out, before we add new features.

But Silver subs do get some priority privs ...

-- hugh

6. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

I saw that on this plugin were made developments! been added options "Link joined to record" and "Frontend Select". Fantastic!!! :eek: ... but ...
    1) I can not select and insert records in the table that I find (Is my problem, or unfinished feature?)
    2) I suggest to add an option to not show the dropdown on the page. I think of cases where the table contains thousands of records, which would be loaded (page very heavy) and then not used.
    3) I did not understand where I find the link "Link joined to record"

Thanks 1000!

7. rob

rob Administrator Staff Member

yes they are all work in progress (and a such are more like NOT working in progress :()

guazaro likes this.
  8. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

I look forward to! Thanks

9. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

Sorry if I stress (but I have a client that stress me).....
    .... have you estimates of the time about this feature?

10. rob

working on this now

will post when i have some results to share

Cheers
    Rob

1 person likes this.
  11. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

Hi Rob,
    news about this?

Thanks

12. rob

still working on it - you should now be able to load up the table, select a record and the dropdown will get updated with the record and the popup window close.
    However, navigation/filtering of the table doesn't currently work - working on that at the moment

Cheers
    Rob

1 person likes this.
  13. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

I look forward ... thanks!

14. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

I'm sorry if I come back to stress about this feature, but I'm waiting for this to finish my first project. Have you predictions?

Thanks

15. rob

I am still working on it - there's just a lot to get working as I need to make table filtering/navigation/ordering work via ajax and not with a page refresh

16. rob

ok try updating to the latest SVN I committed the required changes last night - tested in ff3, ie8 & chrome

17. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

This is a small step for a man, one giant step for Fabrik.

I will go to try !

18. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

Hello Rob,
    first thanks again for developing this feature. But I think that needs a further option.

I have to use this feature to select a value from a table with many records (eg 10,000). The research is fine, but it is appropriate that the pull-down menu is not loaded when the page loads, as it will become very heavy and it is useless (since there is research).

Can you do this next step?

Thanks

19. rob

Hi Paolo

Not sure what you want me to do regarding this issue? Could you explain further please?

Cheers
    Rob

20. paolo.tateo

paolo.tateo Member

The ideal is a third "Render join as" of element Database join:
    1) drop down list -> ok, exist
    2) radio button -> ok exist
    3) only label -> The new that work fine with the new search that you have added

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.